[mythtv-users] Shouldn't have bought an HDTV

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Mon Feb 11 03:54:21 UTC 2008

At 10:00 PM -0500 2/10/08, Phil Bridges wrote:
>On Feb 10, 2008 9:30 PM, Doug Meredith <doug.meredith at skyridge.com> wrote:
> > QAM capture.  I get four unencrypted HD stations and a number of digital SD
>> broadcasts.  I have an HD Home Run but I'm nervous about deploying this at
>> all due to reports of cable companies changing what is available unencrypted
>> or changing frequency assignments without warning.  In any case, it isn't
>> going to get me HD.

I don't know where Doug is in New Brunswick but an entry in the wiki indicates that there is a fair amount of digital content available on Rogers in Fredericton:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Working_QAM_cable_layout#Fredericton.2C_New_Brunswick_.28Canada.29_-_Rogers

Worst case, you buy and test an HDHomerun for a while.  If it works out, great.  Yes it is a pain if they remap channels but it won't happen that often.  If it doesn't work, offer it on the eBay (or even just this list) and you'll probably only be out $25 and shipping.

BTW, I take it you already have a QAM tuner (in a TV?) which is how you know that there are 4 unencrypted HD and more digital SD.  An HDHomerun will tune all the same channels.

Craig