[mythtv-users] Shouldn't have bought an HDTV

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Feb 11 03:04:08 UTC 2008

On Feb 10, 2008, at 6:30 PM, Doug Meredith wrote:

> I’ve been a MythTV user for over a year now, and the WAF has been
> very high.  About six weeks ago I made the mistake of buying our
> first HDTV.  My wife is quite disappointed that everything looks
> “the same”.  To be honest, I’m pretty disappointed too.  Even DVDs
> look amazing compared to my captures.  I’ve been investigating my
> options for capturing HDTV, and have come up with the following:

I'm surprised. My standard definition captures look worse on my HDTV
than on my old standard definition CRT.

> Over the air.  Not an option.  There are no HD broadcasts in New
> Brunswick, Canada.

That's a shame.

> QAM capture.  I get four unencrypted HD stations and a number of
> digital SD broadcasts.  I have an HD Home Run but I’m nervous about
> deploying this at all due to reports of cable companies changing
> what is available unencrypted or changing frequency assignments
> without warning.  In any case, it isn’t going to get me HD.

So you're not going to use it because some day it *might* stop
working? Everything *might* stop working some day. Why do anything at
all?

> Get a cable box and hope that I get what I want through fire wire.
> Some people have difficulty making this work, it seems.  No
> guarantee there will be *any* unencrypted stations on fire wire, and
> if there are, no guarantee they will stay unencrypted.  I don’t
> think I would risk this even if it would work now.  Better to never
> have HD than to have it and have to tell my wife we are going back
> to SD.
> Get a moded cable or satellite box.  The two options I have seen are
> Windows-only.  It isn’t clear how easy or convenient it would be to
> tie Myth into there recording scheme.
>
> Unless I’m missing something, there are *no* good options.  Option
> four, while expensive, looks the most hopeful.  I’m just not sure
> I’m willing to put in the time required to be on the bleeding edge
> with this.
>
> We can dream about the encryption situation changing, but I don’t
> think that anything is going to happen that will let me record HD in
> the next couple of years.  If anything, cable companies are likely
> to clamp down more and more on options two and three.  It really
> looks like option four may be my only hope.
>
> Have I missed anything that should give me reason to be optimistic
> about being able to record HD in the (very) short term?  Personally
> I wouldn’t give up Myth just to get HD.  But I worry greatly about
> the WAF.

The only thing that looks like another option hasn't been released
yet. the Hauppauge HD PVR promises HD capture via component cables.
Reasonably priced and someone posted a response from Hauppauge that
said they hope to have linux drivers when they release. Should be out
in March. Not sure if there other things to consider being a US
product and you want to use it in Canada. Google should come up with a
bunch of info about this new device.

-Brad