[mythtv-users] Friendly Messenger stating that "YOUR MYTHWEB IS INSECURE"

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Feb 10 18:20:47 UTC 2008

On 02/10/2008 09:06 AM, Yan Seiner wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> Or you just give your bookmark a name.   I type in "myth" and get https://mythtv.example.com/tv/upcoming/
>>>   (which is usually where I like to land).
>> Which works if you're on your /own/ computer.  :)
> Or just set up html redirects on your website.  A reqest to
> myth.mysite.com gets redirected to https://www.myothersite.com.  Works
> just fine.
>
> I find that simpler than mucking about with apache proxies.  (I'm not
> clear if that's what you were referring to in your post.)

No.  I was talking about redirects...  Only, instead of using an HTML
page (hack ;), using the Rewrite rules so it's handled by the server..

I.e. something like:

# Redirect requests for mythtv.example.com to the SSL-only application
<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName mythtv.example.com
    ServerAdmin webmaster at example.com
    Redirect permanent / https://example.com/mythtv/
</VirtualHost>

And, for better security (i.e. so you can't go to the non-SSL one and
send your password unencrypted):

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} !=on
RewriteRule ^/mythtv/(.*) https://%{SERVER_NAME}/mythtv/$1 [R,L]

No proxies in site.  (Pun intended. :)

(Not guaranteed to be a good approach nor secure.  IANAAE (Apache
Expert).  Other disclaimers...  Does not necessarily represent the views
of...)

Chris was talking about named bookmarks (i.e. in Firefox, possibly other
browsers, too).  Similar to
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/155698#155698 ,
though that was for a search.

Mike