[mythtv-users] PVR-350 IR with universial remote?

David Reitz dreitz at catdevnull.com
Sun Feb 10 15:12:59 UTC 2008

Justin wrote:
> Has anyone had any luck getting a PVR-350 IR input reader to work with a
> Universal remote?  I'd like to eliminate all but 1 remote but haven't
> been able to have any luck with IR record and I have tried over 100
> different codes.   If anyone has been able to do this could you please
> tell me what brands you used for programming your universal remote.  I
> vaguely remember reading something about the PVR-350 using an odd
> protocol and am expecting that this is my problem.   Also what are some
> other cheap IR devices that I could use instead of the PVR-350 input
> device that is more friendly with Universal remotes.
>
> Thanks

I use a Harmony 659 w/ my PVR350.  Just setup lirc as you normally would
for a PVRx50 (see Jarod Wilson's guide if you haven't done this
before).  Then go into the logitech software and configure it for a
Hauppauge based remote (I don't remember the exact details on this
anymore as it was about 2 yrs ago).  I think I paid ~$60 for the remote
and it was well worth it -- I'm sure other harmony models would work
similarly.

As far as for your specifics, I don't know exactly, but thought I'd
share my experience...

Good luck!