[mythtv-users] Record on any channel except

Matt MacDonald macdonald.matthew at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 13:38:57 UTC 2008

On Feb 9, 2008 11:39 PM, Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote: (Heavily Snipped)

> First, and most obviously, if the English versions are on the
> only NBC affiliate, WDIV, then you could just choose to record
> at any time on this channel. This would work even if you had
> two channels from two sources that carried that station provided
> you used the same callsign "WDIV".

It turns out that this one will solve the "Vegas" issue since my wife
was so kind to point out that vegas is only shown on one English
channel.  I was so into trying to make any channel, any timeslot work
that I forgot to KISS.

> If episodes of Las Vegas that you want to record are from more
> than one station, then it can be trickier but solvable.
>
> As mentioned, you can use channel priorities to influence schedule
> decisions although you really only need to offset the priority
> by one point to 'break the tie'. If you set CHOT to -1 less than
> any other channel, The scheduler would try any showing of an
> episode at any time on any card before it would even consider
> a showing on CHOT. This would be true for Las Vegas or any other
> similar show where the programid is the same for the English and
> French versions. However, this may not be the case...

This wouldn't solve the issue at hand since the French channel seems
to run old repeats that played before my Myth box.  I'm going to do it
anyway since it would really hurt the WAF to have a two year old
French repeat of Vegas overrule one of her shows.

> When you say "it will also attempt to record it on the French
> channels" do you mean it records both English and French versions
> or some French and the others English? I suspect the former.

They seem to be old Repeats, although I haven't really looked that
closely at them.

> Episodes are identified in the TMS database by the "programid"
> which identifies the row of info for each unique episode. It
> is possible that they associate both the English and French
> translation with the same programid, however, they may have
> different seriesid and programid for French. Look at the Program
> Details page and check to see if they are different for the two
> languages. For example, Las Vegas in Las Vegas (hum) has series
> ID EP00592616 and episodes EP00592616NNNN . These should be the
> same for "WDIV". If CHOT has a different EP00NNNNNN then myth
> will see these as being different episodes (because they are...
> they are in French). This may seem bad but you can use this to
> your advantage.
>
> kPowerSearch is the Swiss army knife. If you can see the
> distinction in the program info, you can make a rule to match
> whatever you want.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html#ss12.5
>
> As Mike mentioned, you can simply find Las Vegas on any scheduling
> page, press "E"dit, select "Exclude one station" then click "Add".
> Change the callsign from GOLF to CHOT, click Record and set your
> options for a CHOT free Las Vegas recording rule.
>
> Rule Name: Las Vegas
>
> program.title = 'Las Vegas'
> AND channel.callsign != 'CHOT'
>
> Now, if the French series ID is different, you could make a
> rule to just match the English series regardless of the station
> (or title for that matter):
>
> Rule Name: Las Vegas
>
> program.seriesid = 'EP00592616'
>
> I see that this finds all the Las Vegas English Las Vegas' (wha?).
>
> There are other tricks that you could use if necessary but
> one of these should get you pointed in the right direction.

I'm going to keep this one in my head for if this comes up again.

> --  bjm

Thank you all for the infomation.  That's one thing that I love about
this list, how many people are eager to help.

That custom record thing looks great but Bruce hit one something that
I never even thought of (although my wife gave it to me last night).
I was so into making any channel any timeslot work, that i neglected
to notice that it is only shown on one English channel.  That makes it
much easier to fit into KISS.

Thanks,
Matt