[mythtv-users] Alsa sound (was: Paid expert wanted for MythTV system)

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sat Feb 9 23:25:10 UTC 2008

Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> On 9-Feb-08, at 10:48 AM, Yan Seiner wrote:
>

>> Brian Wood wrote:

>>> I understand your frustration, and if you can find an "expert" by
>>> offering money I guess I don't have a problem with that.
>>>
>>> But I suspect offering money will not help. I really think that
>>> anyone
>>> reading this list who can help is offering you their best effort,
>>> gratis.
>>>
>>> I've been watching this thread, but personally can't see anything
>>> that
>>> hasn't already been suggested.
>>>
>>> Certainly the fact that your problem goes away if you eliminate the
>>> audio is a large clue. The unintuitive fact that HD works and SD has
>>> problems is, I suspect, due to the fact that audio is handled
>>> differently on the two, but that's been mentioned before.
>>>
>>> I really don't think that folks here are motivated by money.
>>> Commercial
>>> Unix consulting is available, but I suspect the cost is a lot higher
>>> than you think.
>>>
>>> When you finally do figure out the problem, I suspect it will turn
>>> out
>>> to be very simple. I'd keep looking into your audio setup.
>>>

>> I'm coming late into this thread, but I would go out and get a sound
>> card.
>>
>> Too often the on-board sound is really crappy adn has all kinds of
>> problems.
>>
>> You can usually pick up some decent PCI sound cards for $2 at the
>> local
>> computer recycle place.
>>
>> --Yan
>>

> I am actually already using a PCI Creative Audigy card with the built
> in disabled.
> Perhaps I am missing something.  Is an .asoundrc always required?

No, and often it will create more trouble than it's worth.

By default, alsa will use the first card found on boot.

If your cards always come up in the same order, then all you need is

ALSA_CARD=1

in your .bashrc for mythfrontend and it will use the 2nd card.

If your cards come up in random order with every boot, I have some
scripts I use that I can post which tie a specific hardware card to a
specific X session.

--Yan