[mythtv-users] OT Superbowl and Direct TV, 2 separate items.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Feb 9 16:02:48 UTC 2008

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> No, but, if I understand the current interpretation of US copyright
> law, if I had recorded the Super Bowl for my own use, on a single VCR,
> I could in fact legally then loan or give that single tape to any other
> person for non commercial purposes, without breaking the law.

I think that's correct. You could invite a neighbor over to watch it.
That's no different from taking your tape over to your neighbor's house
and watching it.

The next small step is that you might be called back home while the tape
is running at your neighbor's, and that's just a tiny step from just
lending the tape to him.

The truth, I suspect, is that as long as you are not charging money to
view it, or distributing multiple copies, you really don't have to worry
about the FBI barging in and arresting you, no matter what the exact
letter of the law might be.

beww