[mythtv-users] "Odometer" Threads

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 7 16:27:21 UTC 2008

On 02/07/2008 11:18 AM, David George wrote:
> On 02/07/2008 11:14 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> I don't know why TiVo decided to go after DISH. DirectTV also offers
>> DVRs, and they are bigger than DISH (16 million vs. 13 million subs).
> Probably because at the time the DirecTV DVRs were TiVo's.  Made by
> various manufacturers (Sony, Philips, Hughes, ...).

And TiVo knew that DirecTV had developed their own DVR and was
considering dropping their contract with TiVo.  As long as the contract
with TiVo was in place, threatening/suing them was too direct an
approach of attempting to convince to renew the contract, so by putting
pressure on "another" satellite provider, their message was loud and
clear, but DirecTV wasn't offended/angered enough to fight TiVo.

Just my opinion...

Mike