[mythtv-users] "Odometer" Threads

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Feb 7 15:18:01 UTC 2008

Jon wrote:

> As I understand it, in order to be infringing on a patent, you have
> to have a retail product that you are making profits off of. I
> believe that personal, not for profit, use is allowed under US patent
> law (but I'm not a lawyer, so don't take my word)

I don't think that would fly. If I made myself a box, which "more or less"
duplicated the functionality of a TiVo, then they could argue that I have in
fact made a "profit" in that they are out the cost of the box I didn't buy from
them. Thin, maybe, but the way lawyers split hairs these days...

Mike Perkins