[mythtv-users] CPU not enough to drive 1080P? Core2duo

Steve Curtis scurtis at fixation.net
Thu Feb 7 13:58:17 UTC 2008

On 06/02/2008, Mark Hutchinson <mark at onnow.net> wrote:

> On 5-Feb-08, at 7:18 PM, Michael Rice wrote:
>
> > Load           "extmod"
>
> This fixed my HD.
> Now my SD is still jerky.

Just FYI - I also built my myth machine with an 8600 and planned on using
XvMC.  I'm afraid it will never work - the latest Nvidia drivers don't
support XvMC with 8xxx cards.  If you google around you will find
confirmation on the Nvidia site somewhere.

I "downgraded" my machine to a 7600 and now XvMC does work.  I think I read
somewhere that Nvidia have no plans at present to support XvMC in the 8xxx
series for the foreseeable future.

My CPU is an AMD 6400 - I'm connected to a 1080p display, I don't have HD tv
tuners so can't comment on MythTV but my mplayer still can't process 1080p.
I'm really confused why as my CPU is not topping out when looking at "top" -
and I've used all manner of mplayer configurations yet I still get stutter.
Something is bottle necking my system - and I just can't figure what/or
where it is!

Highly frustrating as the picture looks gorgeous - but the slight stutter
ruins the overall experience!

Any thoughts on that much appreciated!

--
Steve Curtis [scurtis at fixation.net]