[mythtv-users] Can't play x264 encoded video, mythfrontend crash

Taco Mel taco_mel at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 7 06:39:39 UTC 2008

> Would you mind sharing the 2-pass commandlines for
> mencoder you are using?

Here is the content of $HOME/.mplayer/mencoder.conf:

=========================
[x264-480-HQ-P1]
profile-desc="x264 encoding standard definition"
oac=mp3lame=1
lameopts=abr=1:br=192
ovc=x264=1
x264encopts=bitrate=1400:pass=1:keyint=15:bframes=3:direct_pred=auto:threads=auto:turbo=2

[x264-480-HQ-P2]
profile-desc="x264 encoding standard definition"
oac=mp3lame=1
lameopts=abr=1:br=192
ovc=x264=1
x264encopts=bitrate=1400:pass=2:keyint=15:bframes=3:direct_pred=auto:threads=auto
=========================

Here are the commands:

mplayer <filename> -vf cropdetect -vo null -nosound
-frames 3

This yields crop=(\d+):(\d+):(\d+):(\d+)

mencoder <filename> -o /dev/null -vf
yadif=0,crop=<string_from_mplayer>,softskip,harddup
-profile 'x264-480-HQ-P1' -passlogfile
/var/tmp/h264.logfile

mencoder <filename> -o <filename>.avi -vf
yadif=0,<crop_string>,softskip,harddup -profile
'x264-480-HQ-P2' -passlogfile /var/tmp/h264.logfile

That gets you <filename>.avi in a specified directory.
Then update the 'recorded' table with the correct file
name.  And finally:

mythcommflag --file <filename>.avi --rebuild

Please note:

1. There are probably much better options than I am
using above.  At this point I just want to see it
work.  Once that happens I will worry about optimizing
time and quality.

2. I have compiled x264 and mplayer from recent svn
releases and then recompiled mythtv SVN against those.
 My previous install had used the RPMs from atrpms
which were based on version 54 of the library. That is
now at version 58, so I made sure to remove the atrpms
versions of mplayer and x264 before starting on this
little experiment.

3. I like the approach with mencoder.conf because I
can save several iterations of that file rather than
dealing with a command history.  I also grabbed a copy
of 'h264enc' which steps you through a lot of choices
and then spits out a configuration file that you can
use to build mencoder.conf.

4. Still need advice on the issues I'm seeing with
regard to the strange playback. :-)