[mythtv-users] MythVideo question / feature request (?)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Feb 6 19:40:23 UTC 2008

On 02/06/2008 02:24 PM, Greg Estabrooks wrote:
>> From another point of view - would it be possible to glean this
>> information during the Mythvideo scan?  Then it could be stored in the
>> database, and I could do a db query to see what the AR is.
>  Possible, but it would slow down the scan since now instead of
> just looking at file names we have to open/parse/close each ones header.
>
>  And some don't place the AR in the header and at all and we have
> to do some guesswork based on resolution.
>
>  It would be much simpler to run a script that does a check every 15-30 seconds
> on the telnet interface to grab the AR of the current video if one is playing
> assuming we add a query to return that info which shouldn't be too hard a task.

Better would be to actually do the work Chris Petersen has been asking
for.  He has a table, recordedfile (which could be modified or extended
to support MythVideo videos), which is meant to hold some "summary"
information about videos, including width, height, frames per second,
aspect ratio, etc. (where all applies to the "majority of the main
audio/video stream").  Once the ability to retrieve that information
(i.e. via the mythcommflag run or something) is added and the database
is populated with the info, users could simply retrieve the info from
the DB (or Myth could allow retrieval by any number of means).

I'm not (yet) volunteering to do the work.  I have several other works
in progress that are higher priority for me (though this is one thing on
my list).

Mike