[mythtv-users] Re-doing my backend

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Wed Feb 6 16:47:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 11:21:52AM -0500, David Frascone wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2008 2:31 PM, David Frascone <frasconebulk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'd like my "important" stuff to be kinda backed up.  Either with raid, or
> > maybe just mirror'ed onto the myth video storage -- just to be safe.  I
> > think I should not worry about raid 5 here -- what do you think?
> > The mythtv video store is not important to me -- I was planning on just
> > buying a couple of 500Gb or so disks.  No redundancy.
>

> What about disks?  Can LVM do what I need?  Multiple disks == more power, so
> I'd like a minimalistic solution that still has some redundancy for my
> "important" data.
>
> If there are any LVM experts or linux disk experts here -- I'd like to know
> if I can have a 40-80Gb disk, mirror'ed onto a partition of a bigger video
> disk?

Yes. Don't use LVM -- it's overkill. You could lay it out like this:

disk1, 40GB:
p1  /boot   2G   ext2
p2  /swap   2G   swap
p3  /       20G  RAID-1 mirror
p4  /extra  24G  ext3  store your database files here, use as
                      temp space

disk2, 500GB:

p1  /       20G  RAID-1 mirror
p2  /video0 480G myth storage

For database performance, you want it on a disk separate from
your video storage. But you want to back it up nightly to the
root partition, so you can recover if needed. A quick cron
script for that, run nightly as mythtv:

---
#!/bin/sh
cd SOMEWHEREINTHEROOTRAID
mv mythtv_db_backup.sql.gz  mythtv_db_backup.sql.gz.old
mysqldump -u root -pMYTHDATABASEPASSWORDGOESHERE mythconverg -c | gzip -c - > mythtv_db_backup.sql.gz
cp mythtv_db_backup.sql.gz /video0/mythtv_db_backup.sql.gz
---

That gives you a current plus one old backup of the database in
your RAID mirror, plus a spare copy of the current one in your
big storage.

When it's time to expand, buy more big disks and use the
StorageGroup feature.

-dsr-

subversive content by DHS, and is
believed to be treasonous Commie propaganda.