[mythtv-users] Constant "lockups" on new MythBuntu install

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Wed Feb 6 14:08:44 UTC 2008

 Bruce Nordstrand wrote:
> I noticed that when I deleted the last video, I pretty much
> always got a lockup. It would delete the last video, get to the screen
> that said "No video to delete" (or whatever it says), but would be
>locked there.

Sorry I missed this when you posted it. I had just fixed this about a
week prior to your post with the patch in 15392. The problem was
related to having the live video preview enabled. If you are waiting
until the 0.21 release to upgrade, you can avoid the problem for now
by just using the static thumbnail image preview instead of the live
video preview.

>The other thing I noticed was that I could bring it out of
>the lock immediately if I alt-tab'ed to another application

There is a separate thread used to render the video preview. When you
delete a video, there is a block of code that waits in a loop for that
thread to stop. The thread will only be stopped if a certain function
is called periodically. When you have another live preview to render,
that will continue to happen. However, as soon as you delete the last
video, that function no longer gets called periodically.
However...there is one little catch. The necessary function also gets
called from the draw function, and obviously the draw function gets
called when you alt-tab between apps. Hence, alt-tabbing a few times
would resolve the problem.

--
Ron