[mythtv-users] Nova-T-500 Big problem (need KnoppMyth expertise)

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Tue Feb 5 23:13:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 21:15 +0000, Ben Coates wrote:
> Sorry Nico, I'm not sure what you mean....is there a command I can run
> to find out? I followed the instructions on that page to the letter
> though.
>
> I'm running knoppMyth if that helps. Sorry to be vague, I'm pretty new
> to linux

OK, I've read a little bit about KnoppMyth.

It's derived from Knoppix, which itself is a derivation from Debian.

Now I am wondering if you are not stuck by the very nature of Knoppix.
Some of its approaches are a bit outdated, in my opinion.

My guess is that KnoppMyth does not come with the required elements for
kernel module development, at least compilation. It comes wih a set of
limitations.

If I am right, you are a bit stuck. There may be way outs by opening up
to Debian or other sources, but instead of giving you bad advice I'll
appeal to the expertise with KnoppMyth present in the brains of other
people here.

I do not want to start a distro war here, but were you ready to switch
to a "real" (argh, dangerous choice of words) distribution, like
Mythbuntu, I could help. The should be also plenty of help available
should you chose Fedora or another distro, I am sure.

Using those other distros may not be more complicated, it may probably
be the opposite. My personnal experience with Mythbuntu is stellar,
great job done in making it easy, quick and stable.

You will have to get the latest DVB driver in any case.

But before jumping to hasty conclusions, is there a KnoppMyth person
here who can help build a kernel build environment in order to compile
the latest v4l-dvb tree?

Until then, let's make sure you went through these steps:

Email the results of

uname -r

I hope that KnoppMyth comes with a recent enough kernel version.

Then, in this order, and report any error message and the step at which
you got it:

cd ~
sudo rm -r v4l-dvb
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot
sudo apt-get install mercurial linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential
hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb
cd v4l-dvb
make
sudo make install
cd /lib/firmware
sudo wget http://www.wi-bw.tfh-wildau.de/~pboettch/home/linux-dvb-firmware/dvb-usb-dib0700-1.10.fw
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/options
add the following line at the end of the file, if it is not already there:
    options dvb-usb-dib0700 force_lna_activation=1
sudo poweroff

I hope that we will ge you up and running soon!

Nico