[mythtv-users] HDMI-to-CAT5 Converter

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Feb 5 17:29:43 UTC 2008

Marc Sherman wrote:
> jedi at mishnet.org wrote:
>>     Well, I was dealing with a general that didn't even know that
>> the builder he works for installs this sort of stuff and even has
>> cute little demos in their design center. It fun enough just to get
>> builders to put in the basic stuff right. Nevermind anything too
>> terribly technical.
>>
>>     Then the subs go off and do something that's way out of spec
>> just because they feel like it...
>>
>>      You need you own general just to keep everyone in line.
>
> The same thing happened when I bought my first house -- I'd paid for
> extra phone drops as well as cat5 drops to a bunch of rooms, and the sub
> decided that cat5 had more than enough pairs for lots of phone lines, so
> don't bother with the phone drops.

I guess tradespersons working on residential wiring can't (yet) be
expected to know all the ins and outs of data wiring.

This will hopefully change, but for now it's like asking your car
mechanic to repair a locomotive diesel engine.

Ultimately, as was pointed out, it's up to the general contractor to
supervise the work, but this sort of thing is usually viewed as an
"extra frill", while it should be part of the written specifications.

Not just homes either. I was out at our local community college the
other day and saw some workers furiously pulling cat5 cable through the
suspended ceiling. I looked at the cable, and casually mentioned to one
of the guys that it didn't look like plenum-rated cable to me. He looked
at it for a minute and said "awww crap", and started pulling it back out.

beww

beww