[mythtv-users] Stereo sound works over optical link but surround doesn't

Ole Wolf wolf-dated-1203435184.2a41a2 at blazingangles.com
Tue Feb 5 15:32:38 UTC 2008

> Lastly, check your ~/.mplayer/config file for
> a line that has -hwac3 in it.

Well, wouldn't you know it--there was indeed a stale config file there. I
suppose I should have been suspicious about an error stating that the
option "-hwac" was invalid. In any event, the config file was a leftover from
numerous unsuccessful attempts, so removing it didn't help.

I've managed to get either regular stereo or nothing out at all via the
optical cable, or rapid, clicky scratching sounding very much like
interleaved frames of digitally encoded audio out of the analog output.

Xine with pass-through doesn't play back surround sound over the optical cable
either.

Gathering from the other reply, maybe the problem is really the Audigy 2 card.