[mythtv-users] Live TV tuners conflicting with schedule recordings too often

Rudy Zijlstra mythtv at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Mon Feb 4 23:34:26 UTC 2008

Matt wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I'm seeing more and more issues where I'm constantly being
> presented with the dialog that myth is going to record something in 30
> seconds, and asking me if I want to watch and record, record and go
> back to main menu, or don't record.
>
> However - it's ridiculous that it's even asking me.  Why?  Because
> I've got enough tuners.
>
> I've got 4 SD tuners and 2 HD tuners.  I also have the setting
> checked: "Avoid  conflicts between live TV and scheduled shows".
>
> So, when I start up Live TV, it generally picks an HD tuner.  I pop
> open the guide, and pick a SD channel and it switches over to the SD
> tuner.  Now, whenever an SD recording starts, the prompt comes up and
> asks me what I want to do.  This is rediculously annoying because I
> have 3 other tuners it could pick... but instead, I have to STOP what
> I'm watching, go back to the main menu, start Live TV again (on an HD
> tuner), navigate to the guide, go back to the channel, and start it on
> another SD tuner.
>
> This is obviously not a desirable feature and is just simply horrible
> for a usability perspective.  Is it possible for the scheduler to
> re-shuffle the "best available tuner to avoid conflicts" anytime a
> channel/tuner changes in Live TV?  This problem hits me EVERYTIME I
> use Live TV anymore and a scheduled program comes up regardless of how
> many tuners I have available.
>
> Maybe tuner selection should be dynamic at recording time and only
> when every tuner is already scheduled to record does it prompt if you
> want to do something such as watch the other recording or not to
> record.
>
> Any thoughts?
> Matt

I'm seeing the same, and was considering on how to describe. I've also
selected "Avoid conflicts between live TV and scheduled shows".

My available tuners:
master backend:
1 - PVR500 (first tuner)
2 - PVR500 (second)
3 - PVR500 (first tuner)
4 - PVR500 (second)
5 & 6 - DVB-C set to max of 2 recordings  (prio setting of 2)
Slave backend tuner
4x DVB-S each set to max of 2 recordings (prio setting of 1)

All PVR500 are on prio setting of 0.

This results in a scheduler recording preference of DVB-C, DVB-S, PVR in
case a channel is available on multiple tuners.

By default one of the DVB-S tuners is selected. When however a channel
is selected that is only available on the master backend, it will switch
to tuner 1.... Which is also the first tuner the scheduler will select
(if DVB-C is already in use).

Now if LiveTV would select the highest tuner in its type (in my case
tuner 4 of the PVR when switching to analogue), the problem would be
much less....

I'll still have clashes on DVB-C, as its the best quality recording,
combined with a number of channels only available on it, and some avid
liveTV users :(

Cheers,

Rudy