[mythtv-users] XM Radio, anyone?

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 23:14:26 UTC 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 2:27 PM, Jarett Creason <nobleiceman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2008 11:41 AM, David Frascone <frasconebulk at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 3, 2008 2:33 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > On Feb 3, 2008 1:19 PM, David Frascone <frasconebulk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I am for sure interested.  About 6 months ago i went through the wiki
> guide and got some stations working but could never get Squiz (48) which is
> my fav and without that didnt like it so much.  Also, it would be sweet if
> we could display the song title and artist on the GUI.  Using MythUI, just
> like the clock or MythMusic Mini player.  I relize this would be much more
> complex but would be cool just to see some more developement done.
> > >

> > I *think* I used some sort of myth OSD for my callerid hack, so I should
> be able to use that instead of the silly popup -- I'll check into it, and
> post again when I get close to something releasable.  I'll be out of town
> this week, so that will be a good time for me to do some code cleanup, then
> I can test next week, and mail again!
> >
> > -Dave
> >

> I wrote an installer script for those XM scripts on the wiki awhile back and
> put it back on the wiki.  It does the auto menu generation, groups by genre,
> allows different sorting and refreshes the channels every night via cron if
> you want it to.  It puts the entry in the media library menu, where the
> music and recordings menus by default sit.  I've used it to install on a
> bunch of systems and it's still working.  It's really easy, the only thing
> you have to do is just download, untar, then run "perl install.pl".  It asks
> you some questions then in Myth you have XM!  Check it out:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Integrate_XM#Quick_Install
>
> For the song popup, I still use gmessage or whatever it was doing already.
> I really wanted to change it to use the mythtvosd function, like the caller
> ID and stuff, but that _only_ works when you're watching TV, as far as I can
> tell at least.
>
> I should have posted something here saying I made this awhile ago I
> suppose...  Hope this helps.
>
> Jarett

I'd rather see it be an actual plugin than an "external integration"
feature.  I have no desire to have myth act as a wrapper around simply
launching external apps.  If XM can be integrated directly into myth
as a plugin and use the players already in myth, then I'd be pretty
happy to see that feature come to fruition.

Thanks!
Matt