[mythtv-users] HDMI-to-CAT5 Converter

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Feb 4 18:56:14 UTC 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 9:10 AM, Jason Sullivan wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2008 11:58 AM, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Or you could put the frontend near the video, and run long audio
>> cables...is
>> that any easier?
>
> I've thought about that, too.  Right now I don't do HD, so an S-video
> cable is fine for now.  Currently I'm trying to see which
> configuration (everything close to the projector / everything close to
> the speakers) works better from a layout and usege perspective.   I
> don't anticipate running video signals over the networking cable
> already in the walls, though.  Even running a single HDMI cable (even
> with the adapters) is cheaper and makes more sense than trying to run
> it all over networking cable, but I can see situations where someone
> might want to save the time and trouble with money.

Sure.  These devices are mainly aimed at businesses that have
buildings that already have CAT5 or CAT6 runs.  It's become common to
install lots of this stuff during construction and then parcel it out
to various services as needed.  NTSC video over CAT5 is becoming
particularly common in the video surveillance world, because it
greatly reduces the physical size and weight of the cables.  This
doesn't seem like a big deal until you see what a bundle of sixty
RG-59 cables going into a surveillance room looks like.  You can also
run video over longer distances this way than you can over coax,
especially if you use active baluns at each end.