[mythtv-users] Signal strength, DVB-T

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 17:55:13 UTC 2008

On Feb 1, 2008 12:33 PM, Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at workshy.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 03:04:35PM +0000, Richard Scott wrote:
> > For me (2 x Nova-T) on the Sudbury transmitter, MythTV reports a signal
> > strength of 30-40%.
> >
> > The DVB command line utils (tzap,etc) report a much, much better signal
> > strength and a Humax receiver connected in place of either tuner reports
> > 95 or 100% signal.
> >
> > I have a vague recollection that it's an issue with some DVB drivers -
> > they don't report the signal strength in the way Myth expects.
>
> Good point.  I'll check with tzap when I have time.
>
> --
> Bruce

If the signal strength you're referring to in mythtv is the one that
momentarily appears in the OSD when you change channels, I think that
(at least in 0.20.2 with my HD-5500 cards) there might be some sort of
timing issue with the way mythtv reads that strength.  Mine sometimes
even shows zero.  However, if I actually display the strength by
either using the F7 key in mythtv or using a separate program (I use
femon a lot) it'll be anywhere from 60 to 95.

Tom