[mythtv-users] IPTV UDP/Multicast problem.

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 15:52:21 UTC 2008

Hello

My ISP now provides UDP/Multicast streams that you can watch using VLC.

In VLC to watch one of those stream, you use the URL:
udp://@ip_address:1234.

First I tried something similar to what is describe here with mythtv
0.20.2 (latest version in branch)
http://trac.mugofgrog.com/docs/transmyth/transmyth.html

e.g. I created a new capture card of the type "CRC IP Network
Recorder" using the URL udp://ip_address:1234?multicast
then I created a new video source, added a new channel.

However, when trying to view such channel, mythfrontend would just
hang for about 30s then seg fault.

I tried with mythtv 0.21 trunk 15447 (from ATRPMs on a CentOS 5 machine).
the "CRC IP Network Recorder" capture card type has been replaced with
a "Network Recorder" which now takes a URL to a M3U playlist.

I put the URL there:
http://avenard.org/mythtv/playlist-tpg.m3u

I first tried to use the same playlist I had created for VLC which looks like:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,1 - Al Jazeera (English)
udp://@233.29.121.2:1234
#EXTINF:0,2 - Bloomberg (English)
udp://@233.29.121.3:1234

However, when scanning for the channels in the Input menu in
mythtv-setup it gives me an error about a wrong M3U format.

I changed that playlist to be like:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,1 - Al Jazeera (English)
udp://233.29.121.2:1234?multicast
#EXTINF:0,2 - Bloomberg (English)
udp://233.29.121.3:1234?multicast

Now mythtv-setup will scan the channel properly and all is added automatically.

However, I can never watch those channels, after a few seconds it
shows "No Lock" and "You should have gotten a channel lock by now.
..." or something to that extent.

I'm rather lost now, been trying for several hours without any luck.
Using VLC I can watch those channels just fine.

Can MythTV display UDP/Multicast IPTV stream?
If yes, what did I miss, what URL should I use within my playlist?

Thank you in advance
Jean-Yves