[mythtv-users] Can't add IVTV module options, it's in use?

James Hood ebenblues at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 18:13:26 UTC 2008

/etc/modprobe.conf is the correct place to add parameters for a particular
module. Rebooting the system should insert the module with the parameters
you specified in modprobe.conf. But you should be able to remove the ivtv
module as long as nothing is using it. kill mythbackend and try 'modprobe -r
ivtv' to remove the module. Then reload it with your new params.

You may also be able to manually set parameters to ivtv on your running
system while it's loaded. If you have a 2.6 kernel, look for the directory
/sys/modules/ivtv/parameters. If you have it, there should be files in there
corresponding to runtime-changeable parameters for your ivtv module. You can
use the cat command to see the current setting of the parameter, and the
echo command to change the value of the parameter, e.g. echo '1' >
/sys/modules/ivtv/parameters/paramX.

Good luck,
James

On Jan 28, 2008 6:53 AM, Daniel Arfsten <darfsten at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  I know this is the mythtv-users mailing list and not the IVTV mailing
> list but I figured enough people have dealt with this in the past (I am
> hoping anyway).
>
> I have a PVR-350 (MBE) and a PVR-500 (SBE). Both are showing errors in
> dmesg that are saying the following:
> [869726.344563] ivtv0: Cause: the application is not reading fast enough.
> [876921.044711] ivtv0: All encoder MPEG stream buffers are full. Dropping
> data.
>
> I have DMA on for all hard drives and the PCI Latency set higher than 64
> for all my IDE/SATA controllers so I have ruled those issues out.
>
> I read on the PVR-350 wiki to add options to the IVTV module to solve this
> buffer full issue. I am running Ubuntu Feisty which is using Mythtv
> 20.2-fixes (i am pretty sure). I couldn't find a file within
> /etc/mythtv/modules/ivtv but I did find a file within /etc/modprobe.conf
> that has options for other modules in it like my serial irblaster and what
> not.
>
> My questions are:
> 1. Is this the correct file to add the IVTV module options to?
> (/etc/modprobe.conf) That file looks like this right now (added ivtv options
> at bottom):
> alias char-major-61 lirc_serial
> options lirc_serial irq=3 io=0x2f8
> install lirc_serial /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none ;\
> /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_serial
> options ivtv yuv_buffers=32 mpg_buffers=16 vbi_buffers=16 pcm_buffers=16
> dec_osd_buffers=2
>
> 2. When I follow the wiki (
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_PVR-350), I get  a warning
> stating that IVTV module is in use. I stopped mythtbackend before I tried to
> rmmod the ivtv module but it still complains it's in use.
>
> 3. Unrelated to that issue, I get some HD channels that are the same shows
> as Analog or Digital. Example: 24 and 524, they are both WCGV but the HD
> channel's callsign is WCGVDT, the xmltvid and freqid are different as well .
> So if I tell Mythweb to record a show with a certain title, it'll record
> both shows on both channels which I don't need. I don't even prefer one
> channel over the other since I am using S-Video out on the STB to S-video in
> on the PVR-350. You may ask me why I have both then, well because I have 2
> Mythtv boxes, one only has a PVR-500 in it which COAX is directly connected
> so that Slave Backend can't get the 524 channel but the Master Backend can
> and I suppose sometimes I do prefer the HD format. I know it's downgraded
> through the S-video cable but it's still better none-the-less than the coax
> analog channels.
>
> I suppose I could restart the machine (would that solve the ivtv module
> options getting used issue?) but it's been up for a long time running
> smooth. Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Daniel

"The humble learn the fastest because they don't waste time on defending a
false image."