[mythtv-users] 1 tuner of 2 records poorly from a single channel

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Fri Feb 1 02:37:57 UTC 2008

On Thursday 31 January 2008 19:11, Brian Wood wrote:
> Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> > I live in a high-rise apartment so there's a lot of opportunity
> > for a tech to cause problems, like leaving the door to the cable panel
> > open to swing in the wind.
>
> Obviously you have never worked in the communications field.
>
> That action is referred to as "Active Ambient Air Cooling". The flapping
> door helps to move cooling air into the enclosure.
>
> But seriously,

Haha! Well, with temps at -40C with the wind, cooling hasn't been an issue
lately.

> I believe the 500 card has an LNA on it. Is there a difference if you
> switch it on or off?
>
> Loose connections tend to manifest themselves more at lower frequencies.
> A problem that's only on channel 2 would make me look at possible
> mechanical problems.

I haven't tried that, but the machine has been up 127 days and the problem
only started about a week ago and I haven't been in among the rat's nest of
wires behind my desk so I'm thinking it's external to my suite if anywhere.

How does one turn the LNA off and on?