[mythtv-users] KWorld ATSC-115 problems -- can't change channel, no sound

David Lonie loniedavid at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 16:35:00 UTC 2008

I recently started setting up a KWorld PlusTV ATSC-115 to work
alongside my PVR-150 in a mythtv box.

For the first few attempts at using it I got black screens in xawtv
and myth. I followed the mythtv wiki, asked around on IRC and got
nothing.

Eventually (I have no idea what changed...) I got a picture! No sound,
but I could see all the channel's from my analog cable signal in both
myth and xawtv. I rebooted to see if this would work by default, and
when I did I got static. I switched the cable from the top to the
bottom connector and the picture came back (!). I have no clue why the
card spontaneously changed inputs like that...

Problem is, there's still no sound and I can't change channels. I'm
stuck listening to some big-haired bimbo go on and on about who the
sexiest tv doctor is on the charter channel.

I fooled around a bit, trying the v4l hg drivers, the 2.6.27 drivers,
etc, but no luck. I've reconfigured the card in myth a dozen times,
unloaded and reloaded the module, etc. Any ideas what I should try
next? Any output that may be useful to anyone? I've run out of ideas
myself.

I've asked around on the v4l list, but haven't gotten any responses.
Nothing I can do seems to get this card to work -- I've been trying
for 4 days now, and I'm very lost as to how to troubleshoot the issue.
To summarize,

* Card is a KWorld ATSC-115 (using saa7134 drivers)
* I have a picture using xawtv to capture the analog signal
* I cannot change the channel
* There is no sound, even with saa7134-alsa loaded, running the v4lctl commands
 and with xawtv set to the correct dsp (/dev/dsp2 in my case).

If anyone out there is familiar with this card or troubleshooting this
driver, what would you do in this situation?

Dave