[mythtv-users] First MythTV System

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Wed Dec 31 10:25:58 UTC 2008

Charles Wright <cpwright at gmail.com> says:
> The next problem was getting it hooked to my TV.  I have a 36" tube
> HDTV that is about 4 years old with a DVI port.

[...]

> I am able to use 800x600 instead of just 640x480.

800x600 is not HD. It doesn't matter very much for the DVDs (720x480
in the US) you are watching--although MythTV does a great job of
upmixing the picture, if you will, to a sharper screen--but since
you're using . . .

> The final piece of my setup is a firewire card and cable (total $13),
> which I have connected to a CableVision Scientific Atlanta 4250HDC.

. . . a high definition-capable settop box you are shortchanging
yourself resolutionwise, if your display really can do no better than
800x600.

> I can also tune some of the HD channels, but not WLIW's HD version
> (721).  I need to run scanfw again, the first time it said that no
> channels were encrypted; and it is surprising that the PBS affiliate
> would be encrypted when others like USA are not.

It's not encryption, per se. Rather, WLIW has for some reason set a
flag that your settop box interprets as a command to not permit
FireWire output for it. My PBS affiliate does the same thing. See
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/360261#360261>.

> I do hope to eventually add an NTSC tuner

For PBS and other local broadcast channels, over-the-air really is
your best current option. Excellent picture quality and no possibility
of broadcast flags.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array