[mythtv-users] Mythtv and Choice Hotels

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Dec 31 01:47:35 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 05:11:01PM -0800, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Dec 30, 2008, at 4:02 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:
>
> > Brian Wood wrote:
> >> Anyway, I have discovered that the smaller "Mom and Pop" places,
> >> often along
> >> the Interstates, have very few problems. The larger, more expensive
> >> "Big
> >> Name" hotels are where I have problems.
> >>
> >> Partly this is because the major hotels charge for internet access,
> >> so for
> >> every packet you want to pass, the system has to check if you have
> >> paid, if
> >> it's time for you to pay again, etc.
> >
> > And isn't it interesting how Motel 6 gives you free local phone calls
> > and (in places so equipped) free wireless Internet, whereas expensive
> > hotels expect you to pay extra for those services?  You'd think it
> > would
> > be the other way around.
>
> When you're bargain hunting, you stay at places like Motel 6. When you
> aren't concerned with the bill, you stay at an expensive place and pay
> for all the extras. That wasn't hard, was it?

     Well, this is the difference between cheap crap, cheap crap with
an attitude and stuff that's priced at what it really costs. A lot of
stuff is priced below where it's sustainable due to cutthroat price
competition. Then they nickel and dime you back to where the real price
should be. Being a big, well advertised monster ads a lot of it's own
overhead.