[mythtv-users] Does MythTV support HD video and media libraries

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 21:40:40 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 8:19 AM, Igor Chudov <igor at chudov.com> wrote:

> First let me say that installation of MythTV under Ubuntu 8.10 is not
> exactly straightforward. I am a sysadmin with years of Linux and MySQL
> experience, and yet installing that stuff (via apt-get) and then
> configuring was a big pain. After about an hour of screwing around, I
> finally realized that it did not set up any database or permissions
> and was able to just configure MySQL databases by hand by issuing
> various "create database" and "grant" commands, editing mysql.txt,
> etc, something that I think the distro should do. Anyhow, this is
> mostly a complaint about Ubuntu. I think that I got that to work.

You may have wanted to refer to the documentation:

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html

It's pretty clear on the MySQL requirements and how to set up the initial
databases.

> Now that I got this off my chest, here's my question. It pertains to
> use of an "entertainment PC" that I set up next to my big screen LCD TV.
>
> 1. Does MythTV support HD video such as satellite video. If so, what
> capture card (component input, I guess?) and IR transmitter would you
> suggest that would "just work out of the box".

For Free-To-Air satellite (US or overseas), you can use a variety of DVB
satellite cards (see linuxtv.org for hardware).

Only with the HD-PVR from Hauppauge and only with the "unstable" development
version.  Component analog HD capture is the only means to get HD resolution
satellite video from US services like Dish or DirectTV.

> I am specifically not interested in anything that will not work out of
> the box.
>
> 1a. Bonus question is that we happen to have two satellite feeds (Dish
> Network and DirecTV) and supporting two feeds would be awesome, if
> possible.

You can have multiple lineups, each attached to a particular tuner/input.

> 2. Does MythTV support having a media library (libraries), that is,
> file system repositories of videos and music, playlists etc. I was
> hoping to find a solution that would let me use MythTV as that main 10
> foot interface to support all media viewing that I may want to do.

Yes.  The mythfrontend plugins handle this.  MythVideo is for video files.
MythMusic is for music (obviously).

Kevin