[mythtv-users] Does MythTV support HD video and media libraries

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Tue Dec 30 21:18:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Igor Chudov <igor at chudov.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 01:57:00PM -0700, Travis Tabbal wrote:
>> Over the Air. Antenna. The best HD available short of Blu-Ray. I use
>> it with an HDHomeRun network based tuner.
>
> Sounds interesting. What sort of choice of channels do I get?
> Any URLs?

Just locals. The big networks and such. ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, WB, PBS.
Those are likely to be your only choices. tvfool.com can tell you what
you should be able to receive and what kind of antenna you need to do
it. You will have to provide your location to it.

> I would rather get a bigger CPU, I think.

OK Then. The faster the better really, minimum 3Ghz clock, dual core
preferred. More cores doesn't really help, as most of the work will be
done by a single core due to the way many h264 files are encoded.

SD is significantly easier to deal with. Just make sure you get
hardware that is well supported in Linux. There is a lot that isn't.
The capture cards are the big thing to be 100% sure of.

Note that DVB standards are for Europe. You mentioned Dish and DTV, so
you're stuck with those of us in the US dealing with proprietary crap.
The component capture route is your only choice for HD on satellite or
cable in the US. Firewire cable boxes do exist, but they are limited
based on the provider's whims in your area. I personally wouldn't
attempt using them.