[mythtv-users] What would happen if I cloned a working system disk and put it in another system?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 29 17:11:17 UTC 2008

On Monday 29 December 2008 10:05:26 Craig Huff wrote:
> Sounds like it is at least worth an attempt.
>
> I had thought about using dd, but I can't recall now why I thought
> there would be a problem with it -- target disk smaller than source
> disk, perhaps?

That would be a problem. If the target disk is larger, the partition table
would be copied and there would be wasted space. You could create a new
partition on the unused space.

If the target is smaller, you would have to re-size things to fit. Re-sizing
partitions is tricky, you would want to back things up first, but that's true
no matter what path you take.

--
beww
beww at beww.org