[mythtv-users] [mythtv] OSD missing

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 11:23:01 UTC 2008

On Dec 29, 2008, at 2:44 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:

> jam wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm running some SuSE 11.1 frontend systems. I downloaded the
>> packman rpm but
>> found quite a noticable audio delay when skipping, so ...
>>
>> I built .21-fixes from svn and everything works perfectly,
>> however ...
>>
>> 1 system (and ONLY that system) has no OSD. Pause, Info etc work,
>> but display
>> nothing.
>> mythtvosd displays nothing although the socket is enabled and
>> listening.
>>
>> Both strace and -v all show nothing that looks suspicious.
>> All the hardware is similar, various AMD X2, with nvidia graphics.
>>
>> Can anybody point me in a direction to be looking at?
>
> I've had the same with SuSE 11.0, but in that case - as far as I
> could discern - it was only after running SuSE update. So if your
> purpose is just to create a MythTV box, I'd recommend using 11.0
> and avoiding updating.

Moving to users list. I personally run openSUSE 11.0 on my frontend,
with all updates. I have an nvidia GeForce4 MX4000 with nvidia
drivers. My OSD works fine.

What are you using to draw the OSD? It is likely that's where your
problem lies. I'm not at my box, but I believe I use the chromakey
option and I know that I have OSD fade turned off. Try playing around
with your OSD theme (not the main theme) and your OSD renderer.

Other users might have some more helpful insights.

~Jon