[mythtv-users] What would happen if I cloned a working system disk and put it in another system?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 03:14:58 UTC 2008

Long story / short:  I am still running MythTV 0.20.x on FC6 and/or
CentOS 5.x for various reasons.

If I temporarily add another hard drive to one of my working systems,
partition it appropriately, and use "dump | restore" to get a
duplicate disk (and then figure out how to put the MBR on it and fix
issues with Fedora's predilection to tie everything to the disk UID
instead of the partition name, such as /dev/hda4) is there a decent
chance it will work as a system disk for another system with a
different mobo, but with the same cpu family -- meaning something like
AMD Athlon - AMD Athlon, or Intel Core 2 Duo - Intel Core 2 Duo?

Craig.