[mythtv-users] The RIAA makes the final misstep

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Dec 27 22:49:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 09:57:55AM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 December 2008 09:24:02 Jeff Wormsley wrote:
> > Joe Borne wrote:
> > > How doe sthis affect us in the MythTV world? Well it's nothing but
> > > good news. The integration of streaming video platforms like HULU and
> > > YouTube can virtually guarantee MythTV's future and increased
> > > popularity. We should be focusing our efforts on the integration of
> > > these services in anticipation of the oncoming change. MythTV is
> > > uniquely poised to embrace this new wave of media because of it's
> > > existing technology base and rapid development cycle compared to
> > > proprietary solutions.
> >
> > If everything becomes "On Demand" for a reasonable service fee, what
> > role would MythTV play?  I don't need to record anything if it is always
> > available "On Demand", do I?
>
> If the on-demand stuff has commercials (and it probably will, just look at
> what you have to sit through if you pay $10 for a movie theater ticket), then
> Myth will have a place.
>
> DVD content, Music, and a lot more.

    I already buy stuff I see on Hulu. It helps get me more motivated to
buy stuff as I see a teaser and then get quickly annoyed by the commercials.
The navigation features in something like Hulu aren't nearly as good as
something like Myth or a DVD. Then a navigation event triggers another
commercial....

    Did I mention I didn't like commercials?