[mythtv-users] Advice for VDPAU and HD-PVR

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Dec 27 21:58:00 UTC 2008

Michael Tiller wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Brad DerManouelian
> <myth at dermanouelian.com>wrote:
>
>> On Dec 24, 2008, at 4:32 PM, Michael Tiller wrote:
>>
>> So I got an HD-PVR for Christmas.  I also asked for and got an NVIDIA
>> 8400GS expecting that my system won't be able to play back the recordings
>> very nicely.
>>
>> As I see it, I have several choices:
>>
>>    1. Wait until 0.22 and have both HD-PVR and VDPAU support in that.
>>    2. Install 0.21-fixes + HD-PVR support as a patch (I assume this is
>>    available, I saw something about it).
>>    3. Upgrade to trunk (and the associated instability)
>>

>> I recommend capturing some sample video with your new device in Windows
>> with its supported drivers/software and see if you can play back on your
>> frontend at an acceptable compression rate before continuing on worrying
>> about what to do next.
>>

> I sort of did this already.  I grabbed some samples off the Wiki.  My best
> recollection is that the lost resolution one was OK, but the higher ones
> weren't.  In any case, I'm going to give what you suggest a try and try and
> build an HD-PVR capable version of 0.21-fixes first.  One problem I've
> already found with that is that the thread where these patches were
> mentioned also mentions some manual schema modification in order to support
> this patch.  I'm a bit concerned about how to get to 0.22 if I go this
> route.
>
> I don't suppose anybody has any debs for a 0.21-fixes + HD-PVR?!? (just to
> save me the trouble of doing the builds ;-)
>

>> Upgrading to trunk is always a decision you have to make yourself. You have
>> to decide if you're going to take the time and effort it takes to catch up
>> on the -dev and -commit lists and follow them. This will answer your
>> questions about "which build should I use?"
>>

> I realize I could watch -commits and -dev and look for a point where the
> trunk has mainly stabilized.  However, my point was I'd be perfectly happy
> for someone to tell me such a point in the past as well.  I'm assuming that
> such points have been reached between now and when VDPAU support showed up.
> So if anybody has any suggestions, I'm all ears.  I'm assuming I'm not the
> only one in this boat.
>
> Don't forget that if you're going with option 3, you also need to run beta
>> video drivers from nvidia which can be challenging on its own.
>>

> Good point.  Thanks.

And I have discovered, to my chagrin and a LOT of wasted time, that the
Nvida driver installs it's own versions of some files...not just adding
new and extra files. Merely installing the nvidia 180.16 driver *will*
break playback with other chipsets/drivers.

If you wish to try that route, do not install the driver until you have
extracted the contents (NVIDIA....pkg.run -x ' and made copies of the
libraries and include files which are included in the driver package and
which the install will replace.
As the old naval orders used to say 'Fail not hereof at your peril'.

Geoff