[mythtv-users] Analog and Digital - Do i have this straight?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Dec 27 17:56:17 UTC 2008

On Saturday 27 December 2008 10:34:51 Greg Woods wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-12-27 at 08:20 -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> > If you happpen to know anyone on the same cable system who owns a new-ish
> > TV set with a clear QAM tuner (a common feature), you might be able to
> > determine what channels are unencrypted.
> >
> > I'd go with this sort of empirical evidence, rather then the word of a
> > "tech" who may not have the best info, or even understand it.
>
> I strongly second this. While I don't think as many of the customer
> service people are morons as is commonly believed, the training they do
> have applies to the environment that the vast majority of their
> customers live in.

I found this on the net, since it specifically includes a response from T/W I
thought it might be relevant:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/248819

I agree that not all CATV CSRs are morons. Most of them are well-meaning
folks, but they are totally dependant on their employer for "training".

Certainly they are not going to trained to assist folks in obtaining
programming without renting a STB.

Also possibly relevant, a lawsuit about the forced renting of STBs:

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/12/27/046235

--
beww
beww at beww.org