[mythtv-users] Analog and Digital - Do i have this straight?

jraymyth at gmail.com jraymyth at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 03:03:25 UTC 2008

At the moment, I have analog cable from Time-Warner and a PVR-150 in my
FE/BE that is plugged directly into that cable.  As I understand it:

- When I get digital cable (same channels as now), I will get a box that
will convert the digital signal into an analog signal so that my HDTV could
process the signal.  At which point I will plug the cable box into the
cable, and feed the PVR-150 with a cable from the cablebox.

- If and when I purchase a card such as an HVR-1250, and add that to the
system, then I will split the cable signal BEFORE the cable box, thereby
feeding the digital signal directly into the HVR-1250 and the cable box, and
the analog signal into the PVR-150 by way of the cable box.

- An IR blaster will be necessary to change cable box channels for the
PVR-150

- The HVR-1250 will receive the SD channels and be able to handle its own
channel changing. (as I do now with the PVR-150)

- The HVR-1250 will receive the clear QAM HD channels as well

Does that seem right?

Thanks,
JR