[mythtv-users] OT Ipod Touch

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Fri Dec 26 07:56:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-26 at 14:21 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
> With the boxing day sales in full swing I am tempted by an ipod touch.
> However I am a little concerned about linux compatibility. I know a
> few people here seem to sync myth with their ipods and I wonder about:
>
> * general syncing of music with linux apps like rhythmbox

Any iPod Touch or iPhone with 2.x firmware is unusable at the moment.

There is an obfuscation hash on the music database that has not been
broken yet. I have read about good progress, but it is difficult to know
these days, as the efforts are done behind closed doors now. Apple has
moved the hash system into the FairPlay DRM DLL and is sending DMCA
warnings to anyone openly playing with this file.

Touch 2G and iPhone 3G are firmware v2 only.

You could get a Touch 1G with v1 firmware, jailbreak it and sync it with
Linux without any problem over wi-fi, and soon reliably using a USB
cable.

I have a 32GB Touch 1G and I have no Windows. It is full of musinc,
movies and MythTV recordings.

Nico