[mythtv-users] linux, dnsmasq, and HD HomeRun

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Wed Dec 24 23:03:01 UTC 2008

On 12/24/2008 09:03:12 AM, Desktopj wrote:
> Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> > If anyone is using the dnsmasq DHCP server to give an HD HomeRun
> its
> IP
> > address, I'd appreciate some assistance.
> >
> > Here's the setup.
> >
> > I'm attempting to configure dnsmasq to provide an IP address for
> the
>
> > HDHR connected to the ethernet port, eth0. There's a wireless
> router
> as
> > well.
> >
> > /etc/hosts
> > 192.168.10.5 hdhr.mtranch.com hdhr
> >
> > /etc/dnsmasq.conf changes
> > dhcp-host=00:18:DD:01:4A:E7,192.168.10.5,hdhr,infinite
> >
> > NetworkManager is used to connect to the local network via the
> wireless
> > connect. It.s at 192.168.10.1
> >
> > The HDHR sits with its connect led blinking
> >

> 1. I used dnsmasq (from my local network router) when setting up
> MythTV,
> I just let hdhr pickup an ip address without making any changes to to
> either hosts or dnsmasq.conf.
>
> MythTV (via the hdhr drivers) will located your hdhr.
>
> 2. Make sure that you don't  have two dhcp servers showing up on the
> network (dnsmasq server and your wireless router).

Thanks. Reading between the lines I guessed that you have your HDHR
connected to the router rather than to a port on the box. So I moved my
connection from my system's eth0 port to my wireless router, and
got the connection I was looking for.

However, on the setup I'm hoping for, I need the direct connection, so
that's still an issue for me. However, it is nice to know that the HDHR
is working.

Perhaps not surprisingly, the result is independent of whether or not
dnsmasq is running, so I'm obviously doing something wrong there.