[mythtv-users] Fedora 10 upgrade feedback

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 16:50:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 9:43 PM, Paul <mylists at wilsononline.id.au> wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a friends box, which he has connected the SPDIF output to his
> AMP/Reciever but when we use KCD or someother music player.. no sound from SPDIF.
>
> can I assume your music output is all going via SPDIF (coax) where do I configure this to
> be the default output?
>
> thanks
> Paul

I don't use KsCD and I very rarely, if ever, play CD's directly from
my Linux box.  I usually rip to flac/mp3 and then play the music with
XMMS, AmaroK, etc.  To get music playing via SPDIF it depends on what
sound system (Pulseaudio, ALSA, OSS, etc.) you are using.  For
applications that support ALSA you should be able to use device
'spdif'.  For example, with mplayer you can specify something like
mplayer -ao alsa:device=spdif <file name>.  For applications using
Pulseaudio I had to manually add the SPDIF/coax output to the config
file (/etc/pulse/default.pa) in order for Pulse to recognize it.  Once
I did that though I am able to send music to the coax output using the
typical Pulseaudio tools, like Device Chooser, Volume Control, etc.

HTH,
John