[mythtv-users] LiveTV keeps recording and recording and recording ...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 23 16:18:32 UTC 2008

On 12/23/2008 11:12 AM, David Fishburn wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 12/19/2008 01:16 PM, David Fishburn wrote:
>>
>>> MythTV 0.21 on Ubuntu
>>> According to Synaptic I am running: 0.21.0-0ubuntu2~gutsy1
>>>
>>> I have a BE/FE and 2 AppleTV FEs.
>>>
>>> I have confirmed, both of the FEs are turned off.
>>> The BE/FE is at the main menu.
>>>
>>> Yet for some reason:
>>> Encoder 9 is local on myth and is watching Live TV: 'Days of our
>>> Lives' on CIII. This recording will end at 2:00 PM.
>>>
>>> Basically, it just keeps recording and recording.
>
>>> This has happened over 3 times now, I eventually have to restart the BE.
>>> But I left it like this right now so that hopefully someone on this
>>> list will be able to help me get to the bottom of it.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on what to check for?
>>>
>> Whatever is killing your frontend without properly stopping LiveTV first.
> Okay, killing the frontend is a easy one.  My wife/daughter could have
> easily turned it off without first exiting to the main menu.
> The training is continuing on this.  We are using LiveTV since there
> is no cable output where the TV was moved to.  This made it really
> easy since most of the time we watched recorded television.
>

> That does not explain these issues though:
>>> If I go to Recordings / LiveTV, 'Days of our Lives' is not highlighted
>>> to indicate it is recording in progress.  So I can't click on it and
>>> tell it to stop recording.
> I should always be able to stop the recording.

If it's LiveTV, only the "owner" of the LiveTV session can stop it--i.e.
the frontend that's watching the LiveTV.

>>> I can't cancel the recording from MythWeb either.
>>> In MythWeb, when I "Edit" the recording in progress and choose the
>>> first option (cancel it) I save successfully.
>>> Though nothing happens, it just keeps recording.
> Same as above.

Same as above.  ;)

> I thought there would have been some sort of liveliness checking
> between the frontend and the backend.  So if LiveTV is recording and
> the frontend disappears, there really should be no reason to keep on
> recording unless of course this is by design.

There is, and it's much improved in 0.21, but it still has room for
improvement.  Some upcoming changes will make it much easier to handle
it better.  Until then, don't kill a frontend that's watching LiveTV.  ;)

Mike