[mythtv-users] Crackling Sound from Hauppauge WinTV-USB2

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Mon Dec 22 16:35:28 UTC 2008

I have recently set up a new Mythtv system based on the Hauppauge WinTV-USB2
tuner package. My distro is openSUSE 11.0 running a 2.6.25 kernel. The
motherboard is an ASUS M3N78-VM with an onboard nVidia GeForce 8200 graphics
chip, and nVidea 0774 audio chip. The system uses an AMD Athlon X2 6000 3.1 GHz
CPU, and has 4 GB RAM.

The Mythtv 0.21 package is the one prepared by openSUSE. I had a few problems
getting the mysql database working with the backend, and there have been a few
details that needed to be worked out, but almost everything is working now. I
even have the remote functioning. My tuner is hooked to a standard USA cable
source with the programming provided by Time Warner in Kansas City, Missouri.
Both video and audio are input through the USB system.

The main exception is that two of my main channels have a scratchy, crackly
sound from voices. I tried changing the sampling rate, and the compression
parameters with little positive effect. With MP3 compression and a lossy
compression setting (7), the crackles appeared on other channels. At the moment,
I'm using a sample rate of 48000 and no compression. If I select either 44100 or
32000, I get a backend log message that the rate is not supported.

I welcome any suggestions. Unless I get this fixed, my wife will force me to go
back to Windows and that really awful WinTV2000 application. (Ugh!!)

Thanks,

Larry