[mythtv-users] can't login in to sql

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Dec 22 04:01:59 UTC 2008

On Dec 21, 2008, at 7:42 PM, the mad doctor kaeding wrote:

> I just now compiled and installed the newest mysql (5.1.30),
> and followed your instructions to the letter.  And I get the
> same problem:  after a couple screens to enter sql names
> and password, and checkboxes for waking the sql server,
> mythtv-setup takes me to a box saying "Cannot log in to
> database?" (yes there is a question mark in it).
>
> Here's what the terminal window says:
> mythtv: could not connect to socket
> mythtv: Connection refused

Ok, connection refused means mysql is actively refusing the
connection. So mysql might be binding to 127.0.0.1 or some other name/
ip address that mythtv is not using to access the database.

Check out your my.cnf file and see if that's the case. If you have:
bind-address           = 127.0.0.1

Comment it out like this:
#bind-address           = 127.0.0.1