[mythtv-users] To "Live TV" or not to "Live TV" within myth...

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 04:37:28 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 1:25 PM, Matt S. <skd5aner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Point being - if I'm hosting a super bowl party (just as a single
> example), or any football game, and I invite friends over to watch -
> I'm going to watch it live, because that's what everyone expects.  No
> one is going to want to start watching it 2.5 hours after it starts
> just because we could miss all the commercials by the time the game
> actually ends.

You can still schedule a recording and watch it when it starts. It means you
wont miss the start because you forget the time and it means you don't have
to remember what channel it's on. I watch a lot of sport live but it's
always scheduled. I guess I see the "live sport" argument as a bit of a
strawman.

>  I actually think some guest might be looking for blood
> to know that what they're watching is not live.

Well then I hope they don't know that stuff broadcast "live" is always at
least a few seconds behind.

Look, what it boils down to is this: the vast majority of the devs don't use
Live TV for anything other than testing. That is the case for many of the
users who answer questions here as well. So don't expect a lot of support
for it. I understand the frustration of a feature that doesn't work the way
you want it to, but the only likely way the situation is going to improve is
for someone who cares about Live TV to submit some patches. I don't think
you're going to have any luck trying to convince people who don't use Live
TV to care about it.

Regards,
Steve