[mythtv-users] Nvidia component out to SDTV

Jason Weida jason.m.weida at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 17:06:03 UTC 2008

Hi

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 7:59 PM, John Finlay <finlay at moeraki.com> wrote:

> Tom Lichti wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 5:10 PM, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com>
> wrote:

> blue

> impossible?
> >>>
> >> Mine just plain worked.  Did the dongle come with your card?  Does your
> mobo
> >> actually support component?
> >>
> >> Is your TV RGB or ypbpr?
> >>

> > You have to select 'HD480i" as the TV out standard in the xorg.conf
> > file. Took awhile to figure that one out...
> >
> Did that which made the green and red work. If I use NTSC-M I just get
> the red working - same as if I specify svideo for the TVOutFormat.
>
> Since you (and the OP) got  this to work it seems likely that my MB
> doesn't support component out.
>
> John

When I tried getting this to work on my 7600 board (which came with the
dongle) I noticed that the Ubuntu splash screen was in full color during
startup, but after the nvidia driver loaded (I assume), everything was a
bluish/purple hue.  I never got it working right (after several hours of
trying), but the splashscreen seemed to indicate to me that my hardware
setup was capable, just needed to tweak driver settings somewhere.  I'm
quite the noob, so take my observation with a grain of salt, but maybe check
your splashscreen for another data point?

I ended up insatlling mythbuntu on another machine with only the dongle
plugged in and everything just worked, so I gave up and dedicated Mr. Blue
Hue to backend duty.  On the blue hue setup I tried to switch to component
after running dual head s-vid+analog monitor.  Might be worth trying a
mythbuntu install with just the dongle plugged in to see if that gets things
working.

BTW, I'm quite pleased with the picture quality on my SD TV using 480i
component.  It's worth it to put in a little more time to try to get it
working right!  The colors really pop and the image is very stable.