[mythtv-users] OT-RAID 5 failure. MDADM experts? Seagate 1.5TB failure

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 14:35:59 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Jake Anderson <yahoo at vapourforge.com> wrote:
> There is no such option, to the best of my knowledge.  Have you done
> this before?  Even explicitly telling mdadm to create a new array, using
> the same devices/partitions that were in the array before, mdadm will
> basically try to re-create the old array if it sees there was an array
> there before.  That's what one of the links I posted previously explain.
>

> I recall needing to give mdam some special loving to get it to work when I
> moved an array from one machine to another, i seem to recall vuagley similar
> errors.
> I am wondering if the OP might be facing the same problem.

if you give mdadm the drive UUID's you don't have to play around with
that. I was able to easily move an array that way.

Also, you can force mdadm to create a new array without trying to
rebuild an existing array. I forget exactly how, it was either a
specific option, or a process like marking each drive as "bad" then
trying to build it. You could always format the drives with another
filesystem then start building the mdadm array.

--
Steve
http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/MythTV/