[mythtv-users] NVIDIA Ion platform - all your dreams come true?

Misty P mistyp at thekorn.net
Fri Dec 19 11:22:20 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Williamson" <bill at bbqninja.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2008 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] NVIDIA Ion platform - all your dreams come true?

> To be honest, most (if not all) modern processors support dynamic
> clocking,
> which is WELL supported in linux.  When my box is doing nothing (like
> right
> now) it scaled back to 1ghz (or maybe even less).  It draws much less
> power.

It's just too bad dynamic clocking doesn't work with overclocking.  I have
an open bug report on this, but it's still broken; you can either have your
stock clocks with throttling under linux, or you can overclock, but not
both.

(ex:  2160 that I clocked to 2.1 GHz, if I have speedstep enabled it blows
over my overclock and runs at 1.2/1.8 GHz depending on the load.  To get it
to stick at 2.1GHz, I have to disable speedstep.)