[mythtv-users] "Perfect" DVD Rip -> small picture

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Fri Dec 19 05:16:49 UTC 2008

Hi all -

Pardon the question if the answer's obvious, but I didn't find a quick fix
in the list archives.

I just ran a "perfect" rip on a letterboxed DVD.  The job ran cleanly
(6.6GB file).  When I play back the resultant .vob file, however, the
picture is significantly smaller than when playing the DVD, with a thick
black box around the whole picture rather than just the typical
letterboxed black bars above and below.

I use Xine for playing actual DVDs (in and out of Myth) and mplayer for
videos.   I tried playing the file back with Xine, same result (when using
the fullscreen option).  When using mplayer, I note that it seems to think
that it's a 4:3 file:

VDec: vo config request - 720 x 480 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is 1.33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [xv] 720x480 => 720x540 Planar YV12

Please clue me in as to what I'm doing wrong - must be a simple config
tweak? - Thanks!

Bob