[mythtv-users] Dec 2008 - State of the Art - Hard Drive Recommendations?

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Thu Dec 18 20:14:20 UTC 2008

    > Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:41:12 -0800
    > From: David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us>

    > That sounds impressive until you realize it's about a 1.5 inch drop to
    > concrete, for a bare drive.  (Obviously packaging helps a lot by
    > spreading out the deceleration.)

Hey, you know what would be great?  Hot-swappable drive bays that are
designed with foam padding around the part you remove!  That way, when
you pull the drive and then promptly fumble it and drop it on the
floor, there's at least a -chance- of a saving throw...

(That's one of the things dissuading me from a couple projects that
might use such things---I haven't seen ones where that would be
practical and I just -know- how stupid I'd feel if I ever dropped
a drive...)