[mythtv-users] Dec 2008 - State of the Art - Hard Drive Recommendations?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 19:48:56 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 2:41 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> The nonoperating shock level that the drive can experience without
>> incurring physical damage or degradation in performance when
>> subsequently put into operation is 300 Gs based on a nonrepetitive
>> half-sine shock pulse of 2 msec duration.
>
> That sounds impressive until you realize it's about a 1.5 inch drop to
> concrete, for a bare drive.  (Obviously packaging helps a lot by
> spreading out the deceleration.)

I have my share of drive infant mortality and I would attribute most
of this to poor packaging. Some times I have seen bare drives their
antistatic bags with just peanuts or on multidrive orders all drives
in a foam packaging without a top so that the end of the drives was
face down. I believe in that shipment 2 out of 5 of the 320 GB Seagate
drives died in the first 3 months.

John