[mythtv-users] Dec 2008 - State of the Art - Hard Drive Recommendations?

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Thu Dec 18 19:44:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:

>    > Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:24:02 -0800
>    > From: David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us>
>
>    > The days of hard disks being packed in two inches of foam are mostly
>    > over, I think.  The Western Digital drives I've gotten direct from the
>    > factory, as warranty replacements, were just suspended inside a small
>    > cardboard box by two plastic end shells.
>
> Yeah, I've seen that packaging & been fine w/it.  Some of the Newegg
> customers are complaining about it being packed inside its antistatic
> bag, and then left to rattle around in a box half-full of peanuts, or
> perhaps nothing but some folded paper. Given that I've seen delivery
> people -throw- packages onto front porches...
>
> (The real gotcha question is, "If I return a disk to Seagate packed
> the way Newegg shipped it to me, would Seagate dishonor the warranty
> for insufficient packing?"  If so, Newegg's doing it wrong.)

I complained to my usual supplier (Insight.com UK) after I received the last
HDD I ordered from them. They had some really nice packaging; a box, inside
a foam square with various push-out pieces to accommodate 1.8", 2.5" and
3.5" HDDs, and two pieces of foam to protect the upper and lower surfaces of
the drive. Unfortunately, the packer hadn't used it correctly and had left
both of the latter pieces of foam interlocked at the bottom of the box, put
the drive in, then put the push-out piece of foam on top, so the drive was
potentially rattling around laterally in the box.

Hopefully they've taken my comments onboard and the the two 1TB drives I've
just ordered will be packed properly! :-)

Best Regards,
Alex.